Acquisition of Residential Units
- Purchase of residential unit is exempted from FIC’s approval under the Malaysia My Second Home Programme.
- All categories of residential units are allowed except for low-cost and medium low-cost units as determined by the state authorities, all properties built on Malay reserve land, units that are reserved for Bumiputera quota and agricultural land developed on the basis of the homestead concept.
- State authority has the discretion to consider the acquisition based on location, no. of unit in any single project development and type of the properties.
Acquisition of Other Properties
- Acquisitions of properties other than residential units are subjected to FIC’s approval.
- Any proposed purchase should be more than RM500,000 except state of Sarawak where the purchase should be more than RM350,000.
Transfer of Properties by Foreign Interests
- Transfer of properties by foreign interests are only allowed to their immediate family members only
– Family members under FIC’s guidelines are through marriage (husband and wife), blood ties (grandfather, grandmother, siblings, step-children and legally adopted children).
- Transfer of properties through Will or Court Order is exempted from FIC’s approval.
- Transfer of properties by foreign interests are only allowed to their immediate family members only
Acquisition Procedures for Residential Unit
- Identify the property in which the participant intends to acquire.
- Purchase property that have been issued the Certificate of Completion & Compliance (CCC).
- Seek information on the property from relevant authorities (land office, local authorities).
- Assign a lawyer and get the S & P Agreement signed.
Disposal of Properties
- Identify interested local buyer. If foreign buyer, please seek prior approval from FIC.
- Sign the S & P agreement with the interested buyer.
- Notify relevant authorities (FIC, Ministry of Tourism, Inland Revenue Board) of the disposal of the property.
- Pay property gain tax to Inland Revenue Board, if applicable.
- Applicants are expected to be financially capable of supporting themselves on this program in Malaysia.
- Applicants aged below 50 years are required to show proof of liquid assets worth a minimum of RM500,000 and offshore income of RM10,000 permonth. For certified copy(s) of Current Account submitted as financial proof, applicants must provide the latest 3 months‟ statement with each month’s credit balance of RM500,000.
- Applicants aged 50 and above may comply with the financial proof of RM350,000 in liquid assets and off shore income of RM10,000 permonth. For certified copy(s) of Current Account submitted as financial proof, applicants must provide the latest 3 months‟ statement with each month’s credit balance of RM350,000. For those who have retired, they are required to show proof of receiving pension from government approved funds of RM10,000 per month.
Successful applicants are required to comply with the following financial criteria upon receipt of the “conditional approval letter” from Immigration Department of Malaysia.
Aged below 50 years old
- Open a fixed deposit account of RM300,000.00.
- After a period of one year, the participant can withdraw up to RM150,000.00 for approved expenses relating to house purchase, education for children in Malaysia and medical purposes.
- Must maintain a minimum balance of RM150,000.00 from second year onwards and throughout stay in Malaysia under this program.
Approved participants who have purchased and own property which were bought at RM1 million and above in Malaysia may comply with the basic fixed deposit requirement of RM150,000 on condition that the property has been fully paid and ownership documents such as grant and land title have already been issued. This amount may not be withdrawn until the participant decides to terminate his participation in MM2H programme.
Aged 50 years and above
- Can either choose to:
- Open a fixed deposit account of RM150,000.00 ; OR
- Show proof of government approved pension funds of RM10,000.
- After a period of one year, participant who fulfills the fixed deposit criteria can withdraw up to RM50,000.00 for approved expenses relating to house purchase, education for children in Malaysia and medical purposes.
- Participant must maintain a minimum balance of RM100,000.00 from the second year onwards and throughout his/her stay in Malaysia under this program.
Approved participants who have purchased and own property which were bought at RM1 millionand above in Malaysia may comply with the basic fixed deposit requirement of RM100,000 on condition that the property has been fully paid and ownership documents such as grant and land title have already been issued. This amount may not be withdrawn until the participant decides to terminate his participation in MM2H programme.
- All applicants and their dependents are required to submit a medical report from any private hospital or registered clinic in Malaysia.
- Approved participants and dependents must possess valid medical insurance coverage which is applicable in Malaysia from any insurance company. However exemptions may be given for participants who face difficulty in obtaining a medical insurance due to their age or medical condition.
(Direct Application Only)
- Applicants applying directly are required to fulfil the security bond condition. Please refer to Personal Bond for rate per person by nationality, ranging from RM200-RM2000.
(Application through agent)
- Licensed companies are required to provide the personal bond for their clients who have been approved under the MM2H programme.
How To Apply
Effective 9 January, 2009 foreign citizens may apply to participate in MM2H program directly, without going through any other third party, OR may continue to use the services of MM2H agents licensed by the Ministry of Tourism, Malaysia.
STEP 1: Pre-submission
STEP 2: Submit application to MM2H Centre or Through Appointed Agent
- Letter of Application (by applicant / MM2H company)
- A copy of the resume by the main applicant which includes the following information:
- academic qualification
- working experience
- skills or expertise acquired
- One (1) copy of MM2H Application Form – can be downloaded from the MM2H website;
Note: Applicants and all their dependants have to complete the form individually
- Three (3) copies of IM.12 Form (Social Visit Pass);
Note: Applicants and all their dependants have to complete the form individually.
- Four (4) colored passport sized photographs:
- Copy of Passport/Travel documents (all pages) with certification on the pages with personal particulars;
Note: Copy of previous passport is required if applicant/dependant(s) has renewed his/her passport within the last 12 months.
- Letter of Good Conduct from relevant government agency;
- Self declaration on your/ dependants health conditions – Form can be downloaded from MM2H website;
- Certified copy of Marriage Certificate (if acommpanied by spouse)
- Certified copy of Birth Certificate / legal documents (if accompanied by children/ adopted children/ step children/parents);
- For applicants with children nearing the age 21, they must submit their application at least 3 months before their children reaches the age of 21.
- Letter of Confirmation from Medical Specialist/ General Practitioner (if accompanied by disabled children above 21 years old).
- Statutory Declaration by principal applicant to bear all expenses and financial requirements for dependents during their stay in Malaysia.
- Certified copy (s) of latest 3 month’s bank statements / other related financial document (s) to indicate the financial capability to support stay in Malaysia based on the financial requirement for each category;
- Latest 3 month’s certified copies of pay slip/ income statement (if employed) / pension slip etc;
- Authorisation letter from application to Malaysia My Second Home Centre verify the financial documents with the relevant financial institutions;
- A copy of Personal Bond if submission through an authorised company (must be completed and signed by Malaysian who is one of the Board of Directors/Share Holders/managing Director/Manager from the company).
Note: A Personal Bond is to be made for each applicant and dependant.
STEP 3: Conditional Approval Letter is Issued to the Approved Applicant by the Immigration Unit, MM2H Centre
STEP 4: Applicant comes to Malaysia
Remaining Steps: (After receiving the Conditional Approval letter)
- Open the required Fixed Deposit account in any bank in Malaysia for oneyear period on an auto renewal basis **
- Purchase Medical Insurance in any insurance company in Malaysia /summit Medical Insurance that is applicable in Malaysia.
- Obtain medical report from any private hospital or registered clinic in Malaysia
- Fullfill Security Bond requirement (Direct Applicant only)
STEP 5: Submit Remaining Documents to the Immigration Unit, MM2H Centre
- Submit Fixed Deposit certificate.
- Submit Medical Insurance policy.
- Submit medical report .
- Submit stamped Security Bond (Direct Applicant only)
STEP 6: Applicant collects the Malaysia My Second Home Visa
- Social Visit Pass fee (RM90/year): Social Visit Pass will be given according to the validity of the passport (maximum 10 years)
** After 1 year, participants aged 50 years and above need to maintain the minimum balance of RM 100,000 for every year of stay under this programme and RM 150,000 for participants aged below 50 years.
** Participant needs to sign the Consent Form as Customer‟s Declaration to authorise the Bank to confirm the existence of the FD when required by the relevant Government Authorities which can be downloaded from ( www.mm2h.gov.my ).
** All copies must be certified true copies of original documents by embassy /high commission / solicitor/ justice of peace / notary public / commisioner for oaths / government official.
**Where original documents are not in English, translation must be done by a qualified translator.
** Dependent (s) refer to spouse and children aged below 21 years old ( maximum 6 months before reaching 21 years old .i.e 20 years 6 months old ) and not married, parent(s) aged 60 years and above.
**All documents enclosed with the present application become the property of the Malaysia My Second Home Centre.
For Approved participants who are applying directly:
Each participant and dependant must submit the Security Bond. *
* The Security Bond must be stamped (RM 10.00) by The Stamping Office at Inlan Revenue Board of Malaysia. The Security Bond can be in the form of a Cash/Bank Draft / Money Order made payable to the Ketua Pengarah Imigresen Malaysia .
* The Bond can be withdrawn if the participant/ dependant decides to exit from the MM2H Programme.
* The processing and approval process will take 30 working days from the date of submission of the application (provided the documentation is completed )
A. Individual direct applications for Peninsular Malaysia are to be submitted to:
Malaysia My Second Home Centre
Ministry of Tourism, Malaysia
Level 23, Menara Dato’ Onn
Putra World Trade Centre
50695 Kuala Lumpur
Tel : +603 2696 3367 / 3354 / 3361 / 3351 / 3366
Fax : +603 2698 8533
Email : email@example.com
Department of Immigration, Sabah
Aras 1-4, Block B,
Kompleks Pentadbiran Kerajaan Persekutuan Sabah,
88450 Kota Kinabalu, Sabah.
Tel : +608 880 7000
Fax : +608 848 8800
ONE STOP AGENCY
ICT Unit and Sarawak / Malaysia My Second Home Program “One Stop Agency”
Ministry of Urban Development & Tourism
Level 2, Bangunan Baitulmakmur,
Medan Raya, Petra Jaya,
93050 Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia
Tel : +608 231 9313 / 309
Fax : +608 244 1277 / 5311
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org